Friday, February 20, 2009

Rag rug

We need a few rugs in the house and I have old crib sheets that desired to be more. The elastic had worn out and they gathered together and voted unanimously to become rag rugs.
The starting point was cutting up the strips. I used my green self healing sewing mat and a rotary cutter to make them 3/4" wide. (notice the ink stains that came out with Dyson carpet remover and some detailed scissoring.)I started crocheting and adding the strips in, but I really didn't like the weird little tails hanging out that weren't caught in the stitch. I decided to assemble all the strips and make a ball of rag yarn. I cut slits into each end, overlapped two strips, fed one up through the cut, gave it a good tug, and got a longer length. Detailed instructions are at Craft Stylish.
I used this pattern for the rug and stopped when I ran out of 2 crib sheets of yarn. It was a perfect size to put in front of Phoebe's bathroom sink. I put a piece of slipper sole fabric I have in my stash under it too keep it from shifting or slipping out from under foot. It is cool stuff because it has little rubber bumps all over it.
There is the finished product! Super cute!

No comments: