Wednesday, February 18, 2009

iPhone case

Well, a new 3G iPhone was needed. I won't go into all the details, but water damage will render an iPhone totally useless. We can't even use it for a reliable digital clock. All that works is the home button, and all it does is click down.

While using my new phone, the screen would go black at odd times, wouldn't go black when it was supposed to, and would seem to lock up after calls. I thought there was something really wrong it.

I found a reference to the sensors change of placement between the original and 3G phones. I supposed the erratic behavior was due to my case covering the new phone's sensors. An alteration to my case was needed.

My handy dandy Crop A Dile to the rescue! This craftilicious tool has come in handy so many times that it was worth its purchase at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon (not full price; let's not get crazy now!) It has 2 hole punches: 1/8" and 3/16". I used the 3/16" to make my holes.
I made 2 holes next to the existing ear speaker area to expand out that opening and reveal the 2 stacked sensors. I then smoothed out the edges.
Next, I made a single punch for the lone sensor. This went through the embedded cover-closure magnet. The coolest shower of sparks occurred when I made the punch! It was a time when I wish I were filming the transformation! A bit of clean out of the new hole and the case is perfect! A bit more razor work will even out the ear speaker area and really make it look like I purchased it that way.

It works fantastic. I am not experiencing any of the strange behavior. Thank goodness!

For those of you thinking of updating or getting a new iPhone, read this iFont blog entry to learn about the codes found in the last firmware update that demonstrate the possibility of a new iPhone coming soon.

No comments: