Thursday, April 02, 2009

Oh no! Finding her thumb

So, here I am wondering if I should continue to encourage Renée's use of a pacifier or give in when she uses her thumb. My sister sucked her thumb and revealed her inner grossness that she ever did that. You know, the whole thing about how "you don't know where that's been!" She learns mostly with her mouth, isn't it okay for her to know her thumb personally?

She is developing rapidly in some areas and so slowly in others. Her little reflux issue has somewhat resolved, but it is like we are back to square one with tummy time! Physical development is slow-she could care less to even attempt to roll over. It is all groovy since each day is something a little new, but I am finding it difficult to keep up! Seriously! She is only 4-1/2 months old and I get plum tuckered out! What is going to happen when she walks?

Okay, there is some exaggeration there, but also some truth. With all the EC, teach your baby to read, interact and sing, introduce music, tummy time, colors, shapes, PBS, belly sugar, if I don't utilize every second to expand her sponge-brain, am I a bad mother? Visions of her graduating from Harvard Magna Cum Laude, yelling at me that she could've gone Summa if only I had taught her more words by the time she was 5 months old haunt me! Oh, the horror!

Puh-leeze! I am getting over it. I have so much time with her and don't want to miss any of it. What do I do? Create drama so I capitalize on every second. I am entitled. Phoebe is 8 and those years have gone by in a whirlwind of pink, purple, and now blue as she learns to ride her bike. It is all good.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I sympathize! When I am merely playing around with Elyas and his blocks I feel compelled to teach him about the colors and number of blocks, repeat it in spanish, and then I think "To hell with it! At least I spend time playing with my kid!" Renee and Phoebe are light-years ahead, don't stress it.

Mom guilt is the worst.

UK lass in US said...

I decided to not expand my kids' brains as babies: Harvard is rather expensive, after all...