Friday, January 23, 2009

Great vats o' lotion!


During Mom and Sarah's visit, we made lotion. Mom found a recipe on the net for Family Dollar lotion: 2 bottles baby lotion, 2 vats vitamin e cream, and a petroleum jelly. That was the ratio we made and there are all sorts of other ratios online.
Now, upon hearing this concoction's ingredients, I floundered as I am not a petroleum jelly person. Hate the stuff. It is used to feed cats for hair ball treatment, not for skin. It is just so smarmy. Well, I am a convert now. I can't detect it.
Mike's family visited this past weekend. Rita & Suzanne liked the lotion and took a coffee can full of lotion home to share. When we go visit, we are going to swap our altered lotion recipes.
Now, to mess with the ingredients and make it more my own:
  • replace the petroleum with vapo-rub to appease my love of menthol,
  • add lavender,
  • use non-baby lotion to up the adult smell,
  • add lanolin,
  • add vitamin e oil,
  • add tea tree for anti-fungal foot softness.
What else would be good to add?

3 comments:

Laurie Richard said...

Sounds easy and like something I could make for gifts to sisters & daughters for mother's day.
What kind/ how much baby lotion?
What size is that vitamin e vat?
Once you mix it up- where did you store it? (other than the coffee can?)
I am so excited to keep up with Pheobes and y'all thru your blog. We have big news...Marc turned 42 yesterday, I turn 40 tomorrow and we are pregnant- shocked surprised and excited though:)
So any advice on a 2nd birth is appreciated. We go for our 2nd ultrasound tomorrow to hear the heartbeat and get another peek.
~Laurie

Stacy said...

YEAH! Another baby! Marsha has to be on cloud nine, along with Marc. I made peanut butter cookies last week and thought of you guys. I can't wait to see the ultrasound photos. Please send them along.
I can't get over how easy Renée's birth was. It was a 50s TV baby delivery-a Leave it to Beaver delivery, if you will. Water broke, went to hospital, rested, contraction, baby! All in 6 hours. Your next family addition will come with ease, I am sure.
This lotion is perfect for gifts! I don't have any cool containers yet. Dollar Tree has to have some jars that could be made to look awesome. For now, I just repacked it in the vitamin e containers, reused cream cheese bucket, and the coffee can. It is thin enough for a pump, I am sure.
As for baby advice, I have tons. The best is what I just found out about: Dr. Karp and the 5 S's for calming a baby. That is amazing and everybody needs to know about it. I will post more on that once I finish the book/video, but a YouTube search for Karp Baby is pretty darned cool.

Stacy said...

Forgot to list these (I even put them on a sticky pad so I wouldn't forget). Lotion amounts:
15oz bottle of baby lotion ($1.39)
16oz jar of vitamin e ($1.79)
7.5oz petroleum jelly ($1.29)

All of these at my local Family Dollar.