Thursday, January 22, 2009

Futon Revolution

For some strange reason, I didn't post about the crazy-killer deal from Pottery Barn for our down couch. It is a pre-story to the futon part of this post.

On my way home from vacation this past summer, I stopped by the Pottery Barn outlet. The place was totally trashed! I climbed my way over junk and broken bits to the back and realized I had no intention of scouring the store for something I didn't need anyways. So, I meandered my way toward the front of the store when from the corner of my eye-there it was: my slipcovered, sage, microsuede down couch (edit-added picture as I saw it at the outlet). I sat on it to enjoy that which I couldn't afford. Again, the corner of my eye was caught by the red markings on the price tag. Why would such a lovely piece of furniture have red marks on its price? They were indeed there slashing through price after price after price. $568! I asked an employee what was wrong with the couch as the others like it in the white twill from store floors were priced $1200. Nothing was found. Better condition that any other. Mine! Mine! Mine! Final total after a mall discount and tax $534.
So, that is the story of the great suede-down couch. On to the real reason for this post: the futon.
We had to move the futon to the livingroom so the couch could take its place. The futon though just didn't work there. We have had this beautiful futon for 8 years now and the mattress had become funky from being folded in half. It wasn't comfortable as a couch. Upon some thought, Mike and I decided to perform some furniture trickery and magic and make it really comfortable and usable. We also didn't want to destroy it or alter it so much that it couldn't return to its original futon-ish ways.
The mattress had springs. Mike disassembled it reassembled it. I sewed the cover back (it looks like a Frankenstein mouth). Voila, a new cushion. It stayed backless during the holidays. Mike figured out a way to lower the back by altering where it is placed and reattached with furniture brackets. It is low enough that it isn't stupid placed in front of the window. The slats help with that aspect also as they let in light. (forget about the myriad of pillows I have added) It is narrow enough to act as a couch yet wide enough for one person to lay down & sleep comfortable. Some microsuede (love the stuff) pillows and we are good to go!
We got to keep our extra sleeping spot and got a great piece of customized furniture!

No comments: