Sunday, December 14, 2008

Holiday party


We went to Mike's company holiday party last night and had a blast! When we entered the Alamodome arena, we were greeted with Lonestar singing Walking in Memphis. That is one of my favorite songs. A Cher impersonator closed an episode of the X-Files singing the song and if Cher never sang the song (I cannot determine that she did) she should. The massive visual of tables filled with people was quite overwhelming. I figured we would never find our friends.
Mike walked toward the stage passing all the serving tables with lines. Once the dessert area was behind us, there was another set of serving tables with NO ONE standing at them! We loaded up, went to find seats, and ended up in the stands with our plastic tableware. I ate my food like a pig as I couldn't cut up my meat. Big slabs of turkey diminished in size as I rotisserie reduced it with my teeth.
Wouldn't you know it, while finishing up, I look toward the crowd and see a tangerine dressed gal and a limon dressed gal. Our friends! I figured they dressed brightly because the monotony of black and red was bland. No, they were as surprised to see each other and determined next year to consult one another as to not appear to pose as rainbow sherbert. (Their joke, not mine)
Styx took stage early and we enjoyed it immensely. I was so glad they didn't do Mr. Roboto. It just didn't fit their set. Their show was awesome! They had a little comedy, heavy bass, loud drums, Polaroids, picks galore, tight pants, long hair-everything needed for 80s rockers! Their show was great and you could tell how much fun they had playing together. That made it extra enjoyable.
Mike got us to the back of the arena towards the end of the last song and that facilitated our escape. We were on one of the first buses!
Home by midnight. Asleep by 12:30am. Renée slept like a rock so we got some much needed rest.
Awesome date!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

What?! We get a luncheon catered by a local bar for our holiday party and you get a Styx concert? Clearly I'm in the wrong business!