Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Artisan Bread

Here is the video showing the basic dough that prompted me to put a hold at the library for the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. The book's website shows variations with step by step pictures.

My cookie pans are stoneware and I use the broiler pan for the steam. The wood from a fajita pan works to rest the dough on and slide onto the stone (like a pizza peel). I have already made a couple of batches of bread and my oldest dough is only a day. The bread tastes awesome and I can't wait to get some dough that is old! I keep the wet dough in a broken microwave rice cooker. Last night we had corn chowder for dinner and they would have made awesome bread bowls! Super yum! I had to get the 25lb bag of flour as I was going through flour like crazy. I found that approximately 4 1/2 cups of flour is in each pound of flour.

The book also has a bagel/pretzel recipe. Phoebe wants pretzels.

The recipe along with the video will get you a basic loaf until the library can get the book.

I'll post as I make more bread. What about your love of bread?

2 comments:

Jeff Hertzberg said...

Hi Stacy:

I'm Jeff Hertzberg, one of the co-authors of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I'm so glad our recipes are working well for you. Come visit us anytime at http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com, where you can post questions into any "Comments" field, or click on "Bread Questions" on the left side of the homepage and choose among the options. Other than the Star Trib video there's the one below, and several others under the "Media" tab on our website.

Jeff Hertzberg
www.artisanbreadinfive.com

Chicago tribune video: http://us.macmillan.com/BookCustomPage.aspx?isbn=9780312362911&m_type=2&m_contentid=119255#video

Stacy said...

Look at that! A famous person posted on my blog! That is so freaking awesome, so is the book & bread. Today, I am making the wheat stalk for dinner.
Our afternoon snack is now fresh bread! Isn't it a shame that I have to make the wheat stalk for dinner since we ate the first for snacks-hahaha