Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Artisan Bread wheat stalk

So, it looks a little lumpy and not quite wheat-ish. My scissors weren't long enough to really cut it well in one snip.
With all the economy flippity-whoo, here is a breakdown of the bread, not including energy for baking.
Cost for this bread (estimating 1 pound of flour has 4-1/2 cups):

  • flour 91 cents
  • yeast 9 cents
  • salt (I have 25 pounds for $3.25. I can't figure out the minimal amount for 1-1/2 tbls.)
  • water from the tap

The above amounts will make 4 loaves/wheat stalks of bread. So, the ingredients cost us a bit more than a quarter. Now, if I go ahead and sell these along side my distressed denim jeans at $7.50 a loaf, I will be in business!

Phoebe asked for the bread today and I felt successful because she asked for it. Now, I just need to find that one food that Mike can't live without.

No comments: