Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Golden Bead Material Making-First

I have begun making the Montessori golden bead material for Renée. I know, she isn't even a year old, but I thought an early start would ensure completion. The progress is going well. I have 8 hundred planes complete. Originally, I got the inspiration to undertake this task through this Montessori at Home: Montessori Mathematics: The Complete Bead Material - Part 1.
I keep it all in the lid from my craft tote so it is easily put up away from Renée's reach. When she is asleep, out it comes.
I am using 18 gauge steel wire, 24 gauge purple coated wire, 8mm faceted beads, wire clippers, and round nose pliers. I was going to use copper, but the cost was going to be phenomenal! Really, mind boggling high. The beads were 50% off at Hobby Lobby. I got yellow because that is the color they had the most of during that sale. The purple wire was already in my pile of craft items, and the steel wire is from Lowes.
After some experimentation, I got my assembly line started. With Phoebe's occasional help, this project is going smoothly.

Above, I cut 11cm lengths of the 18 gauge wire, make a circular turn at one end, and thread on 10 beads.
Using the purple wire, I assemble 10 of those bars together to make a hundred plane. Here is am starting that assembly. 2 of the beads down is where I begin. I use a length of wire about 45 cm long. I fold that in half and tuck the bar into the fold. I twist once and add another bar. I twist around that one and continue doing that until 10 bars are assembled.
Once all 10 are together, I return along the previous twists, weaving the wire over/under/between the beads, as shown in this next image. To finish the plane, I twist the two wires together, trim a short length, and wrap the twist back to tuck in between 2 bars.
Here are the completed planes thus far.

Here is a goofy error I came across during my work. One of my bars only had nine beads on it. I discovered it after I has assembled one end of the plane. My solution was to clip the circular end of the offending bar, remove the beads to slide it out. I slid a new wire with 2 beads on it, put that through the assembled end where the other was removed (shown in the photo below), put on 8 more beads and then turn a circular closure. The twisting of the purple wire continued to complete the 100 plane.
This doubling back with the purple wire makes a pretty stiff plane. For the creation of the thousand cube, I will only make one pass with the purple wire. These that I made up will be used as hundred planes.
Initially threading the beads on the 10 bars butted tightly together is a bad idea. It makes the bar curve, the purple wire doesn't fit well between the beads, and they just don't feel cool.
When I make the thousand cube, I will space the 10 bars apart a bit more than I have in the hundred plane. My goal is to make them as close to 10cmx10cmx10cm as possible.
When the thousand cube is complete, I will post it. I can't wait as that is going to be a massive weight. Who would have thought that these beads would have such heft?

3 comments:

Madeline said...

What a great and creative job you have done! You have my complete admiration! Thanks for sharing =)

Stacy said...

Thank you! I hope to make additions to the material with wood hundred planes and thousand cubes.

My Boys' Teacher said...

OMG! Good Luck! Keep us posted on how it goes!