Trying to regroup and get into a routine is a hard thing to do! I miss Phoebe during the day now that she is off learning.
I am getting the third bedroom ready for the girls. That means all of the sewing needs to be moved and projects finished.
I completed this one very simple project. I shouldn't even call it a project as it required the minimal of effort. Most of the effort needed was to actually start it! There are some more of those types of "projects" rolling in there.
I got a "world" panel from WalMart. I put chambray fabric backing I got during the $1/yard sale at my favorite fabric shop, Memories by the Yard. That cool pink/green/purple fabric was also there on sale. I couldn't pass it up! I really like it as a play rug. The world is also working fabulously as a play rug. They launder easily.
Speaking of laundering and saving the world, I got my WonderWash! Sarah & Grant got it for me in Colorado from Craigslist for $20. That is so cool. Thanks, Sarah & Grant!
Mike & I figured out that we are using quite the gallonage of water for our wash. We also figured that approximately $30 of our electricity bill is coming from laundry. That is almost a quarter on our average month! This site helped us do rough calculations.
San Antonio water is very hard. I soften the laundry with Calgon, but holy mackerel, it is not cheap stuff! Since the WonderWash needs less than 2 gallons to clean & another 2 gallons to rinse, I am saving on water, electricity, and moulah! I use much less chemicals to clean, soften, and finish off the cloth.
All of the cloth diapers get washed in it. Using way less water and getting them cleaner than ever before. So far, I haven't needed to strip them.
Mike's dark colored polos get worn too quickly with the machine. I am hoping to keep them looking better without all the harsh agitation. Plus, I can add starch to the rinse water without having to use cupfuls!
My first wash was a decorative blanket that I have put off washing in the machine because I didn't want to ruin it. It was dirty, but it came out looking fabulous! The grey water draining off after wash proved it was clean.
Next up will be the spin dryer complement.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
You are so organized and thrifty and awesome and you make me look bad :) I aspire to have the management skills you do. I am happy to just have clothes that don't smell!!!
Girl, I don't dig in dirt all day! I don't get to find cool stuff in mud. Instead, I get the occasional Cheerio in a diaper.
Glad the Wonder Wash is working out ... are you just using your washing machine spin dry for now?
Yeah, I use the machine to spin dry. It isn't that effective. After using Karen's front loader, I realize how much more water centrifuge could actually release from the fibers. My demise begins with contemptible desire for the spin dryer. Rather like Elizabeth Bennet for Mr. Darcy.
Post a Comment